Innovation Award for Greenock
The Club has achieved success in this year's, Cricket Scotland, Last Man Stands Club Awards. The awards comprise a number of categories that recognise the key components that make up a strong, vibrant cricket club. This year saw a record number of nominations received across the six categories, which reflects some of the outstanding work going on around the country. The Club picked up the award for the category, "Most Innovative and Effective Income Generation"
The Club have established a partnership with Sport Inverclyde to lead on Child Protection and Safeguarding within Inverclyde. This was achieved through Sport Inverclyde providing the organisation, support and funding and Greenock CC providing the Sportscotland accredited tutor and the venue (Glenpark). This approach has opened up a previously untapped income stream for the club.
It has also led to a number of additional benefits to the club:
- An introduction to Greenock Cricket Club for a large number of sports clubs, which has greatly increased knowledge of its existence and the facilities available
- Local clubs have now booked the Club for various functions eg. AGMs and committee meetings for which the Club receives a fee for the use of its premises
- Joint training achieved, resulting in economies of scale
- Cross fertilisation and networking of local sports coaches
- The approach is long term, with "repeat business" ongoing as clubs further train new coaches
The awards were made earlier this month at the Scottish Cup Final held at Stirling.